Friday, September 26, 2008

Friday Finds...

It's a cold and dreary fall morning, the perfect setting for a day spent curled up with a comfy blanket, a hot beverage, and a good book. Alas, that will not be my day.

However, I did find a few interesting books this week that I wanted to tell you about.

Lost Laysen by Margaret Mitchell. I found this book while browsing authors on this amazing book site Veronika over at God-writing mentioned. Although written before Gone With the Wind, Lost Laysen was true to it's title and a lost book until found and published in the mid 1990s. The book is intended for 9-12 year olds, but beyond that I know little about it. Gone With the Wind is one of my top ten favorite books of all times, so I had to put Mitchell's lost work on my "To be read" list immediately.






Nothing But the Truth by Avi. This book was selected by the county-wide library system as their "One book, one community" choice. Last year they chose The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. During these events library patrons are encouraged to pick up a free copy of the book at their local branch, read it, and participate in discussions and other events connected with the selected book. I have done a little research on this book and think I might actually read it, so stay tuned for a review in the coming weeks/month. The only comment I'll make at this time is that I wish the library would go for some classics. I'd love a free copy of Dickens or Austen (yes, it's true I don't own EVERY Austen... yet). On the other hand, I get a free book, which if I like I can keep... and if I don't... I can just donate to another library unconnected with this event.




Mrs. 'Arris Goes to New York by Paul Gallico. It was an accident that I even came upon this book when I did. Years ago I enjoyed the movie Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris staring Angela Lansbury and reminded of it recently I set out looking for the book. I ordered a used copy, but was shipped Mrs. 'Arris Goes to New York the sequel instead. I decided to keep this one, but have also ordered the first book, which I still want to read. As a side note, Paul Gallico is probably most famous for his book, The Poseidon Adventure, which has been made into a film with the same title and then remade most recently as Poseidon. Interesting.



What did you find this week? Leave a comment or a link to your page with your findings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool about that first book. I love "Gone with the Wind" too. I remember when I read it, no wonder it's a classic! The movie's okay, but doesn't compare (as most don't).

Anonymous said...

Wow...I didn't know Mitchell wrote anything else. :) Definitely on my tbr.

And hey, thanks for shoutout! :)