Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's On My Nightstand - September

I can't believe a month has passed since I last posted what was on my nightstand; it seems like it was only last week.

In addition to my Bible reading and continued slow progress through C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity I am reading:

Washington Burning: How a Frenchman's Vision for Our Nation's Capital Survived Congress, the Founding Fathers, and the Invading British Army by Les Standiford. I came upon this book while browsing at the local bookstore. It looked interesting so I requested it from my library. It's a very thorough book so my progress has been slow, particularly because I've had other books of lighter fare that I've wanted to read after a long day. Not to say Washington Burning isn't good, it is.

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Graham. I started this one last month, but my reading of it has been interrupted by various other books. This is a cute story, but I can only read a few chapters at a sitting.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. This is a very fast read -- the story of a boy who runs away from the city to live in the mountains. I expect to post a review in the coming week.


Rip Van Winkle & Other Stories by Washington Irving. I came upon this book on the "Classics rack" at my library. The rack contains classics that can be borrowed for any length of time without having to renew. Generally they consist of inexpensive paperback copies of some of the most popular stories or authors.


The Big Four by Agatha Christie. I guess you might say this one is "waiting in the wings to be added to my nightstand." The other day I decided it was time to read another mystery... So I've put in a request at the library. I expect to pick up the book today and add it to my nightstand stack.

What's on your nightstand? Want to see what's on others? Check it out here at 5MinutesforBooks.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I know -- I can't believe a month has past already. =X

Glad you are enjoying Wind in the WIllows.

Unknown said...

I was just thinking about reading some Christie! I forgot to put it on my list.