Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking Through Thursday Meme

It's Thursday, which means we've nearly made it to the weekend and for many of us, a holiday weekend at that! To celebrate I'm posting two memes today. The first I found on Booking Through Thursday's blog.

What was the last book you bought?
Emma by Jane Austen (10.6.08 -- and no, I've never read it.)

Name a book you have read MORE than once
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. (There have been a few others, but this was the first that came to mind.)

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
Yes, the Bible.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
It depends, but mostly either upon the summary or recommendation. The cover can be appealing, but I always back it up with either a reading of the summary or reviews/recommendations to see what the story is.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Fiction.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
Tough question... probably the gripping plot. A book can have beautiful writing and go nowhere and that can be quite dull.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
Hmm... this is tough, but maybe Mr. Darcy or Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. There are a few I'd include from current readings, and past readings, but this was the first that came to mind.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
Bleak House by Charles Dickens, Paradise Lost by John Milton, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham, and Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery.

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
Rip Van Winkle And Other Stories by Washington Irving. Sunday, October 5.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Yes, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens when I was a teenager. Also, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, also when I was a teenager. Both I intend to re-read/finish reading.

3 comments:

Jessica Rodarte said...

Great meme! Thanks for tagging me! I think I'll do this meme, too. :) How funny about Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath because I did the same thing when I was a teen. And you know, I knew it would be good, but for some reason, I lost interest. Go figure. I have intentions of reading it, as well.

Carrie said...

I do not intend to ever return to the Grapes of Wrath and will have to be given a very good reason to do so. I'll await your review when you get around to it yourself. =D

It was fun reading through your answers!

Anonymous said...

Ack, "Grapes of Wrath". I read the whole thing and generally despised it. I was in high school at the time. I wonder what I'd think of it now?

I'd like to know what you think of Paradise Lost by John Milton. I remember it made me rather angry, as I felt like he blamed everything on Eve and took so much poetic license as to change the general meaning of the whole point of that episode in scripture. Again, it was a while ago that I read it.