Thursday, October 30, 2008

Library Hospital Survey

"When and where do you read?" Last night one of the ladies in my book club asked this question of everyone in the room. It was fun and interesting to find out when and where each lady finds time to read. Several read before they turned out the light each night, one lady said her favorite time to read was right after she wakes up on a Saturday morning. Another loves to read while walking the fields of her property.

When I worked full time I used to find time only on the weekends or evenings to read, unless I listened to an audio book during my daily commute. Now that I work form home and spend most of days taking care of my daughter my reading time is random and continually evolving. Currently I read in the late afternoons while my daughter is napping and once my work is done for the day. But I get my best reading done in the evening after she has gone to bed and before I go myself, or on Sunday afternoons.

When and were do you read? Leave a comment and let me know.

8 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I try to carve out 10-15 minutes in the morning right after my shower and before I fall asleep at night. Lunch times are reserved for reading blogs unless it's impossibly gorgeous outside, in which case technology loses out to the printed page. Or if I'm in the middle of a really good book, then my schedule goes straight to hell as I try to get in pages here and there, even at stop lights:)

~teachmom~ said...

Usually only in the evenings and on the weekends. Either right before bed or on my porch.

Anonymous said...

When I worked full-time I took public transportation and I'd get 2 hours of reading done a day! Now that I'm at home I'm usually doing work or writing during naps, so the best time for me to read is after my boys have gone to bed for the night. There's nothing my husband and I love more than to curl up on the couch together with steaming mugs of hot chocolate each with a book in hand!

BubblesandMoney said...

I read at my desk, on the sofa or while I'm waiting. I have two college age children that still live at home so I read while they are in class. If it's a good book I read all the time, anywhere until the book is done.

Good questions- I plan to ask them at my next bookclub meeting.

Rebecca Reid said...

When I don't have to do cleaning or any other job, I put my son down to sleep (either for his nap or for the night) and then I sneak into my book...My husband's been traveling a lot, so I get more time to read and it's nice (but truth be told, I'd rather have my husband home!)

I also often listen to audiobook while driving, cooking, cleaning, doing anything.

Sarah said...

My favorite time to read is in the evenings, and also right before going to bed.

Nicole said...

Honestly, it depends on te book...

I usually read in the afternoon, after my homework is done. I also read in school when we have free time at the end of class (which I am getting less and less of because I am now a senior...).

If I am in the middle of a good book, I read late into the night (only making it harder to eventually put down) and all throughout the day, neglecting my other duties.

I usually do not listen to books on tape because a)the books I want to listen to cannot be found at my library, b) I do not do anything long enough to turn one on, and c) they just dont appeal to me at the moment

Maw Books said...

If I manage to get my kids ready in time I'll leave 10-15 minutes early to where ever we are going and then sit in the car and read. They can't complain because they are strapped in their seats!