Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Finds...

It's been a while since I posted a "Friday Finds." Here are some of the books I have come across in the last few weeks. Some I found via Semicolon Blog's weekly Saturday Review and some I found on my own.

Finds that I've read, but still want to mention because I think you should read them:
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Written in the mid 1800s, this book is a little mystery, a little romance, but mostly a battle of wits between the lead characters. You can read a review on Melydia's blog. I read this book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Masterpiece Theatre produced a film adaptation, but it is a rare find. I found Melydia's blog via Saturday Review a few weeks ago.

Mrs. Mike by Benedict & Nancy Freedman. The true love story of a young girl and a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman in the early northern Canada during the early 1900s. You can read a review of this book at Framed And Booked. This is another book that I have read (several years ago) and it is one of my top 10 favorites of all time. This was the other book I found on the November 8 Saturday Review post.

Books that I have not read, but may add to my TBR list:
Murder at the Portland Variety by M. J. Zellnik. Published in 2005 this book falls into the mystery and historical fiction genre. A review is available at SuziQOregon's Blog. Found on Saturday Review November 8, 2008.

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate Dicamill. Published in 2003. I have seen this children's (ages 9-12) book in stores and at the library, but never seriously considered reading it. I read a review (I think it was last week), but unfortunately forgot to save the link. At any rate, this book looks like a fun read and is on my TBR for sure.

The Search for Joyful: A Mrs. Mike Novel by Benedict & Nancy Freedman. Fifty years after publishing Mrs. Mike, the Freedman's have written and published a sequel... which I didn't know about until now... and yet it has already been around for over five years... Wow. I am excited and intrigued. And yet... from the Amazon description I am not sure if I will read it or or not. I have the same feelings about the third in the Mrs. Mike series, Kathy A Little Bird: A Mrs. Mike Novel, published in 2005. But I think it's cool that more information is available about Mrs. Mike (Kathy) and her family. Readers and lovers of Mrs. Mike should check these out.

No comments: