Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Month In Review: June

And here we are again, at the end of the month and half way through the year. So in a way it seems fitting in a way that I've read half way to 100 books in six months.

Over the last six months I have noticed a couple patterns forming in my reading. First, I seem to average reading between six and eight books a month, which astounds me considering my reading time is mostly between the hours of 9 and 11pm.

Second, for the first time in probably 14 years I have been reading a lot of fluff -- a lot of "potato chip" novels. I'm not sure if it's the fact it is summer time and I'm in the mood for some warm-fuzzy romances, or if I'm just needing something light to read since my life is so hectic. At any rate, I have spent a fair amount of my reading time reading chic-lit and I'm not sure when this mood will pass.

Here is a recap of what I read, click on the links to read my reviews:
1. A House to Let by Charles Dickens & Others
2. The Shack by Wm. Paul Young
3. The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
4. Winona's Pony Cart by Maud Hart Lovelace
5. Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie
6. Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
7. A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
8. Practically Perfect by Katie Fforde
9. Anne of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery

As for projections for the month of July... I am determined to finish Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, even if not before the July 18th book club meeting. Then I am moving on to the next Christie novel, Three Act Tragedy. If I have time I would also like to read Rainbow Valley and perhaps Betsy Was a Freshman, as both are next in line of the Anne and the Betsy-Tacy series I am re-reading. Of course because it is Summer I am tempted to just read a lot of fluff, so we'll see. Check back and find out!

To see what I've been reading check out my other A Month In Review posts or my Master Reading List.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've noticed your increase in fluffier books! It is strange how we get in these moods and read just one type of book. I've just noticed that I am reading 3 Indian books in a row - weird!

Alyce said...

I think that happens to all of us. I know I go on reading binges. Last year I read nothing but nonfiction (mostly memoirs) for about six months. It was all I wanted to read. Prior to that I had a "fluffy" period where I read chick lit. Now I'm back to my regular mix of everything.

Carrie said...

It's possible to get a lot accomplished in a short time frame! =) Congrats on all you've managed to do! THat's really quite impressive.