Sunday, July 26, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: My Preferences

Ok, so this is from last week's Booking Through Thursday post. I missed posting it then, but didn't want to skip it altogether.

Preferences, what do I prefer?

Reading something frivolous? Or something serious? Generally it depends on my mood. Lately I've preferred the frivolous which requires less concentration and time, but most of the time I prefer the serious, the classics.

Paperbacks? Or hardcovers? Definitely hardcover.

Fiction? Or Nonfiction? While I enjoy both and what I read is pushed by my reading moods, I lean towards favoring fiction over nonfiction.

Poetry? Or Prose? Prose.

Biographies? Or Autobiographies? I enjoy a good biography, but I think it's always more interesting to read a book about a person by that very person.

History? Or Historical Fiction? History; though historical fiction can be fun.

Series? Or Stand-alones? Stand-alones, though series can be fun.

Classics? Or best-sellers? Classics.

Lurid, fruity prose? Or straight-forward, basic prose? Straight-forward, basic prose.

Plots? Or Stream-of-Consciousness? Plots!

Long books? Or Short? I like long books, if they're good and worthy of the length. Short books are good for giving me more time to read other books.

Illustrated? Or Non-illustrated? It depends on how good the illustrations are. If they're good, I enjoy a few, but long ago I learned to illustrate books in my imagination and often times it's better than any artist's drawing, especially when the author is a good story teller.

Borrowed? Or Owned? Classics I prefer to own. Best-sellers, Christie mysteries, books I'm unsure about I prefer to borrow.

New? Or Used? If it's old I love used. If it's a new publication or too expensive to buy as a great used copy, then I prefer new. ~

What about you? Leave a comment with a link to your own meme.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I still have what even *I* think is a bad habit of just buying books, regardless of whether or not I'm "sure" of them. It creates unnecessary stacks. But I figure in those cases I can take them back to the used bookstore (from which I typically find them) and "swap" them out again.