I have some exciting news! A Library is a Hospital for the Mind is hosting our first ever reading challenge...
I have made it no secret, I am a longtime and ardent fan of the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace. Earlier this year I began to re-read through the series and was ecstatic to learn that several of the books, which have been out of print for a decade, are to be reprinted and available for purchase on Tuesday, September 28 thanks to HarperCollins Publishers!
What better way to celebrate this great occasion then by hosting the first ever Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge on my blog! So for all of your readers out there -- whether you've read Mrs. Lovelace's books long ago, or only recently heard about them -- this challenge is for you!
Here's how to participate:
1. Start now by planning out which Maud Hart Lovelace books you most want to read. You don't have to read the Betsy-Tacy series, though I highly recommend them. In addition to the ten Betsy-Tacy books, Mrs. Lovelace also wrote three books as part of the Deep Valley series and twelve individual books on a variety of topics. Click here to see a full bibliography. (Almost all of the books are available through local libraries and book sellers, so be sure to check around if you can't find what you're looking for.)
2. Come back to A Library is a Hospital for the Mind the week of September 28 thru October 3 and sign-up to participate in the reading challenge using the Mr. Linky in my introductory Reading Challenge post. Be sure to post your name and link to your own post listing which of Mrs. Lovelace's books you plan to read, or even to your own introductory post. Be sure to use the permalink (link to the actual post, not just your blog.) This challenge is supposed to be lots of fun, so feel free to change around your list throughout the month if you feel the need.
3. Sit back, relax, and enjoy reading!
4. Come back on Saturday, October 31, 2009 and link up whichever of your Maud Hart Lovelace related reviews/posts that you wish to share. Be sure to use the permalink (link to the actual post, not just your blog.)
6. Visit around the other Reading Challenge participants' blogs and see what they have to say or which of Mrs. Lovelace's books they chose to read. Feel free to dialog with me or with them through blog comments or email. Find out what they like and why. Have fun!
That's it. So SPREAD THE WORD and I will see you back here on Monday, September 28th! In the meantime, you can copy the HTML code that is posted on the right-hand column of A Library is a Hospital for the Mind and use it to link your blog to the challenge. The direct link for the challenge is: http://libraryhospital.blogspot.com/search/label/Maud%20Hart%20Lovelace%20Reading%20Challenge.