Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September: A Month In Review

It is the last day of September and it is starting to fell like Autumn, even though it doesn't quite look the part. The leaves have only a hint of color, but the humidity has dropped and the air is becoming brisker in the early evenings.

This evening I took a long walk with my husband and daughter and enjoyed the quiet beauty of nature. It was the perfect evening to return and settle down with a good book, which is exactly what I'm planning to do once I finish this post.

I am pleased with my reading progress during the month of September. I finished off 10 books, bringing my yearly total to 79. Two of the ten books were on my projected reading list for September. One book didn't make it... I'm ashamed to admit I never got around to reading L. M. Montgomery's Rainbow Valley, which I've been planning to read for two months now. (sigh)

Here's my recap:

1. Highland Fling by Katie Fforde
2. Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge
3. The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
4. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
5. Miss Buncle's Book by D. E. Stevenson
6. A Dog Called Scholar by Anne H. White
7. Carney's House Party by Maud Hart Lovelace
8. The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer
9. Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace
10. The Trees Kneel At Christmas

As you can tell by my list I am a little behind in posting reviews, but no worry, I shall have the missing reviews posted before the end of next week, if not sooner.

So that's what I read this month, but what is on my list for October?

I have a few definite reads: 1. Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry (chosen by the ladies of my book club to read before our next meeting). 2. Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie (for my personal AC reading challenge). 3. Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery (which I stated in my recent What's On My Nightstand post will be finished before November. Don't believe me? Just wait and see!) And then of course I'm planning on reading several books by Maud Hart Lovelace for the Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge. Mrs. Lovelace penned 24 novels during her lifetime I am planning to read and review not only the rest of the Betsy-Tacy series, but some of her lesser known works, so be sure to check back throughout the month.

And speaking of Maud Hart Lovelace... there's still time to join the challenge. Whether you are a veteran Betsy-Tacy fan or have never heard of Deep Valley and Maud Hart Lovelace, I encourage you to join the fun.

Well, I'm off to enjoy a quiet evening and a good book. Happy reading!

1 comment:

ImageNations said...

You did well. reading 10 books in a month is no easy feat.