Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Five Favs

It's Friday! And what a week it's been. Still here my five favorites from this past week.

1. Reading Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell. I am loving this book. Thirkell has such a way with words... and with characters. It only took a couple pages for me to realize this was going to be a favorite read of mine. Stay tuned, I am looking forward to sharing more about this book and my thoughts in a formal review once I've finished reading it.

2. Children's Book of the week: The Flower Man by Mark Ludy. Oddly enough I learned of this book first during an illustration my pastor gave during one of his recent sermons. Intrigued by the description (a "beautiful, wordless story told visually from beginning to end features a small, meek man who transforms a small town through simple moral principles.") I decided to see if my library had a copy that I could share with my daughter during our story reading time. Although published in 2005 it proved rather elusive until I finally found a copy through ILL. It is a very clever picture book and she and I have really enjoyed it. Check it out!

3. A toe and finger nail painting party with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. This was the first time I've painted her fingers and thanks to Maybelline's 50 second drying nail polish it was a success. It was a fun little diversion and she's been talking about her pretty toes and fingers every day since.

4. Time at the gym. Despite my very hectic schedule I try to get to the gym at least three times a week and on a good week I can make it four times. I've always hated running, but suddenly things have changed. A few weeks back I decided to start working towards being able to run a 5k. I set myself up on the treadmill for "random mode" (i.e. hills/valleys/straights) and started running. Initially my time was something like 44 minutes, but over the last month I've shaved it down to 35:05 and I won't slow down until I can run a ten minute mile! It's thrilling to have such a goal and to feel I will achieve it!

5. Song of the week. I Run To You by Lady Antebellum. I don't have many favorite singers/groups. Generally I like a song or some songs by a singer or group, but not necessarily all their music. It's very true that my musical tastes are rather eclectic. Still, Lady Antebellum is an exception. Although this is an older song it's still one of my favorites. I couldn't get the actual music video embedded here, so if you're curious check it out here.


Well, those are my favorites for this week. What about you? Leave me a comment and let me know what were yours.

No comments: