Thursday, February 10, 2011

Romantic Passages from Favorite Reads Part II


My next choice is from Jane Austen's Persuasion, which is arguably my favorite of her novels, well, maybe second only to Pride and Prejudice.

The book: Persuasionon by Jane Austen, Chapter 23
The setting: Early 19th century England
The scene: A letter from Captain Wentworth to Anne Elliot

"On the contents of that letter depended all which this world could do for her! Any thing was possible, any thing might be defied rather than suspense. Mrs. Musgrove had little arrangements of her own at her own table; to their protection she must trust, and sinking into the chair which he had occupied, succeeding to the very spot where he had leaned and written, her eyes devoured the following words:
'I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that this love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. -- Have you not seen this? can you fail to have understood my wishes? -- I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. -- Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in
F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening, or never.'"
----------------------
If you've never read Persuasion, then let me persuade you to not waste another moment, but instead pick up this delightful story. It is a classic tale of true love; love that bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love that never ends.

No comments: