Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Bit About My Personal Library

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I’ll have a long beard by the time I read them
–Arnold Lobel

We moved three weeks ago and this morning I finally unpacked the last of the boxes, which only waited this long because they contained our personal library. Being an avid bibliophile it has pained me to leave the books boxed up for over a month, but as our new home does not have any built in bookcases (our old one did) and we only own one freestanding bookcase there was simply no place to unpack the books... Until I got the idea (thanks to a gal in my book club) to unpack and use the boxes as temporary bookshelves.

And so today I did just that. Here is a glimpse of our personal library (not yet sorted and almost in its entirety -- about a dozen or so childrens books are upstairs in my daughter's room on the freestanding bookshelf):
 
 I'd love to get a couple of floor to ceiling bookshelves here, but realize it could be a few months before that happens. Meanwhile... at least I can access our library of books!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I love that little poem from Lobel. Cute! And it generally expresses my sentiments exactly!

ImageNations said...

books, books, books. How happy one becomes when one sees them. Lovely and this is a unique idea.

Ann Summerville said...

Great idea. I've been downsizing and took loads of books to Half Price Books. I just don't think I've ever read all of them again.
Ann

Monica said...

I love the poem...except the beard part ;)

I am in temporary housing and so many of my books are in storage (sniff-sniff) and I miss them!

The rest of my books are still on the nightstand, a few bookcases, baskets, dining table, couch, and of course, the floor! :)