Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bookworm Meme

I found this Meme posted on another book lover's blog (see sidebar link to Reading To Know) and thought it would be a fun way to start off here.

Do you remember how you developed love for reading?
I loved having books read to me as a child. As long as I can remember I have loved books, but I don't know at what age that love started. I remember being 5 years old and wanting to grow up to be a librarian, or a writer, or both.

What are some books you read as a child?
My favorite story as a young child was Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina. When older I read the Nancy Drew books, Betsy-Tacy books, Anne of Green Gables and Emily books, and many others of various genres.

What is your favorite genre?
I don't think I have a favorite genre per se. Currently (and for the last couple of years) I've been reading a lot of "classics", but that includes books for youth as well as for adults and mixed in there I've read some non-fiction, mysteries, and even some chick-lit. If classics aren't my favorite genre, I'd have to say mystery is.

When do you usually read?
Because I work part-time and have a 12 month old, plus have to keep house and make meals for our family I don't get as much time to read as I'd like. My reading time comes during little snippets of time during the day (naps or when my daughter is quietly playing). I get my heaviest reading time in during the evenings and sometimes even the weekends.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Yes. I rarely if ever have only one book going. I suppose this is because my moods affect what I want to read, thus I generally have more than one genre of books that I'm reading at a time.

Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
Not really. I might find that I am faster at reading a fictional story, but it really depends on the writing style of the author and the topic/plot of the book.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I'd say it's a 40/60 split between buying the books and borrowing them from the library. I haven't borrowed a book from a non-library source in a very long time.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
Generally I keep all the books I buy. However, if it's a book that I didn't like, or know I won't read again I donate the book to a local library.

Do you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
Yes. I'm constantly looking for favorite reads from my childhood to share with my daughter. Some of the books I've read have included the Little Bear series, Frog and Toad, Caps for Sale, Runaway Bunny, Goodnight Moon, Ferdinand, Make Way For Ducklings, and Corduroy. As she gets older I plan to read to her or share with her some of my favorite chapter books.

What are you reading now?
The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton, Under The Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy, and Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis.

Do you keep a TBR (To Be Read) list?
Yes. I utilize Shelfair.com's site. I may even post a widget on this blog with my current reading list and my already read list.

What's next?
Not sure. I'd have to look at my "To Be Read" list and see what strikes me.

What books would you like to reread?
Currently the Besty-Tacy series, though there are many more I'd love to re-read as time allows, but right now I'm focusing on books that I've never read.

Who are your favorite authors?
Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Agatha Christie to name just a few.

No comments: