Friday, May 1, 2009

April: A Month in Review and Looking Ahead

Another month has come and gone and here we are into May! I can hardly believe that spring is nearly passed.

April was a very busy month for me between work and traveling and the general things in life that take up time, but I was able to meet several of my goals.

In April I read 7 books. At the start of the month I finished a book that has caused me great curiosity over the years: Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I also read several books from various series including: Anne of Windy Poplars by L. M. Montgomery, Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Hill by Maud Hart Lovelace, and Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Parliament by Paul Gallico. And as part of a personal reading challenge I started last year, I also completed another Agatha Christie mystery, Lord Edgware Dies (a.k.a. Thirteen for Dinner), which makes 13 read with 69 to go. To give myself a break from all the drama of Brideshead and Lord Edgware I enjoyed a fairytale romance and swash-buckling adventure in The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. And just before the close of the month I reminisced while re-reading the children's classic and 1939 Newbery Honor Award book, Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. (Note: Click on the links to view my reviews)

I think seven books is pretty good considering almost all of them were in my list of predicted reads in my March: A Month in Review post. Looking ahead to May I am planning to read the sequel to The Making of a Marchioness, which I read earlier this year. I also plan to get into the book club selections before our May 20th meeting, and plan to finish off the 14th Christie mystery. Aside from that I may pick up another Anne book, or maybe a Betsy-Tacy, we'll see. I am hoping for some fun surprises in May, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I've been eyeing The Goose Girl so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. Congrats on your reading accomplishments in April- given your life schedule that's pretty awesome!

Alyce said...

Great job reading your 7 books! I have a hard time sticking to my list of books I'm planning to read. I always find more books to add to it.

Anonymous said...

I remember reading Mr. Popper's Penguins! I haven't read Goose Girl yet, but I did read Princess Academy in the fall and really enjoyed it.

Great job with all the reading!

hopeinbrazil said...

Just popping in to say I like your taste in books. Keep up the good work.