Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday Teasers: Mrs.Tim of the Regiment

"Once more the good lady has missed my point. I begin to feel as if I were conversing in a foreign language or with somebody very deaf. There was an old gentleman at Hythe who prided himself upon his hearing. A conversation with him was always fraught with surprises. I remember asking him whether he had been for a long walk today, to which he replied smilingly, 'Yes, May is my favourite month too.' Decide that Mrs. McTurk suffers from mental deafness. She has ears but hears not -- at least I suppose she must have ears concealed under her rolls of mud-coloured hair or Mr. McTurk would not have paid a hundred and twenty pounds for diamond earrings for her." - (Mrs. Tim of the Regiment by D. E. Stevenson, Diary Entry: May 5, page 174)

No comments: