Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday Children's Picks

Looking for some fresh and fun books to read aloud to your children (or grandchildren, nieces/nephews, etc.)? Here are two favorites selected by my 3 year-old daughter during our recent library visit:


The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark by Ken Geist. (Published by Scholastic, Cartwheel Books, 2007) This story is a very colorful and cute retelling of the The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. This book has been a regular read for our house; even my daughter is "reading" it to her dolls. I have more than once overheard her, "Not by the skin of my finny fin fin."


Delicious! A Pumpkin Soup Story by Helen Cooper. (Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007) The story of three friends: Cat, Squirrel, and Duck and their quest for a "Scrumptious", "Nutritious", but most of all a "Delicious!" substitute for pumpkin soup. Again, cute and colorful with an entertaining subplot involving some bugs. I've noticed there are more stories about these three friends and now that I have discovered how fun this read is I'll be looking for the others.

No comments: