I just learned about a low-key reading challenge that is commencing this week. The challenge is open to any person who likes to read. It begins September 22nd and runs until December 20th.
Interested in participating? Here are the guidelines:
1. Create a list of some books you’d like to read or finish this fall. This is the only real requirement for participating in the challenge.
2. Feel free to set some additional reading goals (such as reading to your kids two hours per week, getting through your pile of magazines, etc.). However, this is not required; setting additional goals is completely optional.
3. Write a blog post that includes the list of books you want to read (and any additional goals you’ve set), and get ready to post it on your blog on September 22nd.
4. Visit Callapidder Days on September 22nd to sign up for the challenge. I’ll have an official launch post up that morning, complete with an area for you to submit a link to your personal Fall Into Reading post, where it will be added to the master list of participants.
5. Read! Work on your goals throughout Fall 2010.
6. Report your results. Write another blog post in December to let everyone know how you did. (Callappider will post an official wrap-up to the challenge on December 21st, where you’ll be able to share your results.)
7. Have fun! Visit other participants to see what they’re reading. Write reviews if you’re so inclined. But most of all, enjoy your fall reading!
My Fall Into Reading Challenge Goals - 2010:
1. I plan to finish out the Agatha Christie Blog Tour, which ends on September 30. I have a final post set to run on the 29th. I'm very excited about this particular post. In addition to this I plan to finish out the year by participating in the monthly Agatha Christie Reading Challenge, which means if I am to stay on target I need to read at least one Agatha Christie mystery in September, October, November and December.
2. October marks the launch of the second annual Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge. As my part in this challenge I plan to read the remaining books by Mrs. Lovelace that I have not yet read. Amongst these include The Tune in the Tree, Gentlemen From England, and some Betsy-Tacy short stories just to name a couple. Also I will be hosting give-aways (chances to win the newest reprints by HarperCollins) and other fun posts. Please come back next Friday (October 1) to sign up to join in the fun!
3. Set a tradition. In 2008 I took a month and read Charles Dickens' Bleak House. I loved the book. Then in 2009 I spent most of 2009 reading a mix of light classics, modern classics, and fluff. This year I'd like to get back to reading a true classic. I've selected another Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities. I've never read this one, but I've wanted to for a long time.
4. Pretty much the rest of the fall I plan to not plan. I will read whatever crosses my nightstand or tickles my reading fancy. If you're curious as to what I'll be reading come back for the monthly "What's On My Nightstand" post.
As for the Fall Into Reading Challenge, happy reading and I'll see you back here for the wrap up in December.