This week's give-away is a BIG ONE. Participants in this year's Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge have the chance to win a Maud Hart Lovelace book! Read on to learn more.
For the first time in ten years Maud Hart Lovelace's Deep Valley series, which consists of three books (Carney's House Party, Emily of Deep Valley, and Winona's Pony Cart) will once again be available to readers everywhere thanks to the republishing efforts of HarperCollins Publishers.
The Deep Valley series will once again be available in stores (and online) as of Tuesday, October 12 and will sell for under $14. The three books: Carney's House Party, Emily of Deep Valley, and Winona's Pony Cart will be printed in two volumes with Emily of Deep Valley as one and Carney's House Party and Winona's Pony Cart combined in the second.
That's where this give-away comes in. I am very grateful to HarperCollins Publishers who is donating a copy of each Deep Valley book for this year's Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge. (Thank you!)
Want to win one of these books? Here's how to enter:
1. You must be a participant of the Maud Hart Lovelace Challenge (and have signed up by October 10).
2. You must be a resident of the USA.
3. You must leave a comment linking to your blog where you have posted the answers to the following questions in a blog post (you don't have do write anything fancy or elaborate, just a simple post in your own words):
a. Why you joined the MHLRC.This give-away is open until Friday, October 15 at 11:30pm (ET). Two winners will be selected and announced on Saturday, October 16, 2010.
b. Which book you are currently reading for the challenge.
c. Something new you have learned either from participating in this challenge or from a MHL book you have read.
d. Which book in the Deep Valley series you hope to win and why.
Below are the choices and further details. Good luck!
Emily Of Deep Valley
"Emily Webster, an orphan living with her grandfather, is not like the other girls her age in Deep Valley, Minnesota. After graduation, she longs to join the Crowd and go off to college—but she can't leave her grandfather alone at home. Resigning herself to a "lost winter," Emily nonetheless throws herself into a new program of study and a growing interest in the local Syrian community, and when she meets a handsome new teacher at the high school, Emily gains more than she ever dreamed possible." (summary courtesy of the publisher)
Further Notes courtesy of HarperCollins Publishers:
- Emily of Deep Valley is considered by fans of her beloved Betsy-Tacy series to be one of the author's finest works.
- This gorgeous volume includes a new foreword by acclaimed young adult author Mitali Perkins, and compelling historical material about the real people who inspired Lovelace’s beloved characters.
- Available in stores and online 10/12/10 for $12.99.
Winona's Pony Cart/Carney's House Party:
Carney's House Party: "In the summer of 1911, Caroline "Carney" Sibley is home from college and looking forward to hosting a month long house party—catching up with the old Crowd, including her friend Betsy Ray, and introducing them to her Vassar classmate Isobel Porteous. Romance is in the air with the return of Carney's high school sweetheart, Larry Humphreys, for whom she's pined all these years. Will she like him as well as she once did? Or will the exasperating Sam Hutchinson turn her head?" (summary courtesy of the publisher)
Winona's Pony Cart: "More than anything in the world, Winona Root wants a pony for her eighth birthday. Despite her father's insistence that it's out of the question, she's wishing so hard that she's sure she'll get one—at least, that's what she tells her friends Betsy, Tacy, and Tib..." (summary courtesy of the publisher)
Further Notes Courtesy of HarperCollins Publishers:
- This beautiful combination edition of Carney's House Party and Winona's Pony Cart features a foreword by author Melissa Wiley and a never-before-published biography of illustrator Vera Neville.
- Available in stores and online 10/12/10 for $13.99.
OTHER RELATED LINKS:
Carney's House Party - reviewed
Winona's Pony Cart - reviewed
Emily of Deep Valley - reviewed