Thursday, November 4, 2010

Literary Meme - Answers

I must confess I am little disappointed I didn't get more guesses on Monday's Literary Meme post. Maybe they were harder than I thought? Or maybe everyone is recovering from a busy October. At any rate I promised to post the answers later in the week, so here I am.

The following titles are five of my favorite books; not all-time top five favorite, but definitely five books I have read, I have loved, and I think you should read! (When available I have linked the title to my review.)

~*~

1. "All the Hill was boiling with excitement. On every side there rose a continual chattering and squeaking, whispering and whistling, as the Animals discussed the great news." -- Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson

2. "London was enjoying the first day of spring; the clouds which had obscured the atmosphere for weeks had been swept away in the night and the old grey city was stretching herself and relaxing happily in mild air and golden sunshine." -- The Blue Sapphire by D. E. Stevenson

3. "A rickety carriage was slowly ascending the hill, and from the place of honour on the back seat, the single passenger surveyed the country with interest and admiration." -- Lavender And Old Lace by Myrtle Reed

4. "London. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets, as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill." -- Bleak House by Charles Dickens

5. "No man knew when the Shuttle began its slow and heavy weaving from shore to shore, that it was held and guided by the great hand of Fate." -- The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett

~*~

What about you? What are five books you have read, loved and think I should read? Leave me a comment and let me know.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I had ZERO ideas hence I didn't answer. (At least I could have said so, hmm?) I'm never very good at figuring out quotes though.

Brittanie said...

Sorry Sarah The only one I knew was number five. :)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I just found your blog through another!

What an interesting question and I expect the answer would be different whenever one answers it.

Right now I would say (only by title as I haven't much time)...

The Dean's Watch by Goudge
The Scent of Water by Goudge
Miss Buncle's Book by Stevenson
Christy by Catherine Marshall
Shepherd's Abiding by Jan Karon

...and yes, they are quite different but I love a mixture of old and new.