Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall


304 pages
Published 2011
by Knopf Books for Young Readers 


The Penderwicks at Point Mouette is the third in a coming-of-age series about the Penderwick family (a widower dad and his five daughters) by  Jeanne Birdsall.

I first discovered the series in 2008 when I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy. The next year I read the sequel, The Penderwicks of Gardam Street, which made me fall even more in love with the series. And so when I learned that the third book would be published in May 2011 I was quick to put in a request for a copy at my local library.

The Plot: 
The Penderwick family is going to be split up for summer vacation for the first time ever! Rosalind is off to the beach with friends, which leaves Skye in charge as OAP (Oldest Available Penderwick),  which terrifies Skye. Thankfully the girls' friend Jeffrey is joining them so it looks to be a fun summer after all... And it definitely is a fun summer filled with all sorts of adventures and a few discoveries that will change the lives of all involved. There are moments of laughter and of tears, but most of all it's the type of summer no one will soon forget (including the reader)! To learn more check out the full summary on Jeanne Birdsall's website.

My Thoughts:
The third installment in the Penderwick series does not disappoint. It is just as delightful, charming and fun as the two preceding books and at the same time it is a completely fresh story with new adventures for each member of the family.

As is the case with Mrs. Birdsall's previous two Penderwick books the writing remains simple, but clear and creative all the while keeping the story believable and enjoyable not just for her young readers, but for adults too.

If you are looking for an entertaining read that also gives you a feeling of nostalgia (for books of yesteryear) and yet still relevant to today's kids then look no further than The Penderwicks At Point Mouette... Although I will suggest you start at the beginning of the series if you've not yet read them.

According to her website, Mrs. Birdsall plans to write two more books for the Penderwick series. I look forward to the next edition and as she is one of my favorite modern authors I also plan to keep my eye out for any of her other future works.

--------------------------
Related Links:
Jeanne Birdsall's Website 

The Penderwicks (reviewed)
The Penderwicks of Gardham Street (reviewed)

4 comments:

Brittanie said...

I liked this book/series too. I can't wait to read the next book. :)

Jennifer said...

Ooo, I've been dying to read this one, as I just adored the first in the series and really liked the second. I'm glad somebody's continuing to produce novels in the tradition of Anne of Green Gables and Betsy-Tacy, you know?

Ann Summerville said...

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of her.
Ann

Marie Cloutier said...

Sounds totally adorable! I'm going to have to look for all of these!