Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What's On My Nightstand: May 2012



Another month has evaporated, but I am happy to report that this week marks the end of a LOT of commitments. I'm sure the next three months will fill up quickly, but for now we have next to nothing on our calendar and I am so ready for that!

In spite of the hectic life I've been leading for the last four weeks I did manage to fit in a little reading during the month of May. I finished Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens! (Excellent read, btw.) I also finished a couple quick reads, Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie and the children's fantasy novel Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.

So what does that leave on my nightstand to be read in the coming month? It's an interesting mix...

Up first I have the goal to read three books before the next book club meeting in July. This time we are reading and cross-comparing three young adult novels. They are: Sydney Taylor's All-Of-A-Kind Family, Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy-Tacy, and L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. All three of these books were written by women who lived during the turn of the last century. They are also about family and day-to-day life in three very different places. It should make for a fun discussion.

I've read Betsy-Tacy and Anne of Green Gables before, so I'm looking forward the rare treat of re-reading. I've never read All-Of-A-Kind Family (I think...) so I plan to start with that one first. I also have hopes that when I do re-read Betsy-Tacy I will be able to do so by reading it aloud to my almost 5-year-old daughter. (For those who don't know, in the first Betsy-Tacy book both Betsy and Tacy are five years old, so this is a fitting time to read it aloud.)

And as time permits I also have planned to read:
  • The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie
  • People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
  • Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

I'm curious about People of the Book since a friend mentioned her book club would be reading and discussing it. As for Vanity Fair, it's a hefty read, but one I've wanted to tackle for some time. It might take me all summer, but I am determined to get through it.

So, that's all for my nightstand. What about you? What are you currently reading? Leave me a comment and let me know. Looking for ideas? Be sure to stop by 5 Minutes for Books to see the May edition of the What's On My Nightstand post link-ups. I know I always find many ideas as I browse the other posts.

Happy reading!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oliver Twist and Tuck Everlasting are on my TBR as are the Anne of Green Gables Series. Seems like a lot of folks on WOYN are reading Agatha Christie! Hope you have a great relaxed summer of reading!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read "People of the Book" too. A friend of mine raved about that author and blew through all her books. I read "March" and it was ok.

BerlinerinPoet said...

I read "People of the Book" a pretty long time ago. So, I HOPE I'm not steering you wrong when I say I really really enjoyed it.
I just started participating in this "Nightstand" thing, and I'm very excited to follow more book loving bloggers. Just what I need, MORE stuff to read.
"Vanity Fair" has been eying me from my bookshelf for a while now. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Carrie said...

Heh! :D (I don't know if you and Berlinerin Poet have figured out yet that we're mutual "real life" friends. But she's my local friend.)

If you read Oliver Twist during a very busy time then I have nothing to offer but a bow. I am impressed.

I do hope life calms down a bit for you here in the near future and that you can relax a bit!

Unknown said...

I am so ready for "nothing" on my schedule too (or at least LESS). Happy Reading!!

Maria said...

I love L.M Montgomery's writing. I've read everything she wrote (I think) and enjoyed it all. I also used to (still do?) have a crush on Gilbert Blythe ;)