Friday, May 11, 2012

Memorable Mothers in Literature

It's Mother's Day weekend, which brought to mind a question. Who is my favorite "mother" from literature? And why?

There a number of excellent mothers within literature and a number of bad mothers. I put together a list of ten that came to mind, but I'm sure there are many many more.

1. Mrs. Bennet (Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen)
2. Mrs. Dashwood (Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen)
3. Mrs. March "Marmee" (Little Women by Louisa May Alcott)
4. Mrs. Ingalls (Little House In the Big Woods [etc.] by Laura Ingalls Wilder)
5. Mrs. Ray (Betsy-Tacy [etc.] by Maud Hart Lovelace
6. Marilla Cuthbert (Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery)
7. Molly Weasley (Harry Potter [etc.] J. K. Rowling)
8. Mrs. Darling (Peter Pan by J. M. Barie)
9. Anne Shirley (Anne of Ingleside by Luce Maud Montgomery)
10. "Mama" (All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor)
My personal favorites include Mrs. Ray and Mrs. Ingalls, but that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the others equally as much... well except for Mrs. Bennet!

What about you? Who is your favorite mother from literature and why? Are there other mothers you think should be added to this list? Let me know!

Happy Mother's Day to all you readers who are also mothers... or in some cases mothers who are also readers!

1 comment:

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

I'd definitely add "Mama" from Kathryn Forbes' Mama's Bank Account (one of my favorite books)!