Monday, August 31, 2009

August: A Month in Review

Today is the last day of August and it might as well be the last day of Summer by the way it feels outside. It is so much cooler and between the warm sunshine and soft breezes it's the perfect day for reading out of doors. I love it!

I'm actually a little excited that the hot Summer weather is drawing to an end. I love Summer, but I think I love Autumn more. There's something so cozy about reading on a soft warm afternoon or a cool crisp evening.

But to recap the month... Most of my August reads were on my projected reading list, which is a change from the last two months, where most were not. Of the seven books I hoped to read I finished five and added seven more that weren't on the list.

Those 12 books included:
1. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
2. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.
3. Heavens to Betsy by Maud Hard Lovelace.
4. Three Act Tragedy by Agatha Christie.
5. Betsy In Spite of Herself by Maud Hart Lovelace.
6. Betsy Was a Junior by Maud Hart Lovelace.
7. The African Queen by C. S. Forester
8. Betsy and Joe by Maud Hart Lovelace
9. The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton
10. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
11. Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie
12. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey

As you can tell by my list I am a little behind in posting reviews. But never fear, I shall have the rest of the reviews up within the first two weeks of September. Plus I have some very exciting news in the form of an announcement that will appear tomorrow -- Tuesday, September 1st -- so be sure to check back to find out more!

By the way, for those who are curious about the two books I didn't read from my August projected reading list they were The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel (a series of short stories by Baroness Orczy) and Rainbow Valley from the Anne of Green Gables series. I still plan to read Rainbow Valley, but have given up on The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel. The League is a series of short stories that comes later in the series and I really want to read the books in order of the story's progression. Unfortunately I don't have access to the next in the series, so I have put that reading ambition on hold.

So what will I be reading next month? I am currently reading Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge, which was the selected book for my book club's September meeting. I am determined to have this 502 page book finished before the meeting. I expect this will happen as I've already made quite a bit of progress and it's not yet September.

I'd like to finish Rainbow Valley and perhaps get started on Rilla of Ingleside, we'll see.

Of course, I must read the next Agatha Christie mystery, which is The A.B.C. Murders.

And I've got a few other ideas of books I plan to read, but we'll see if I get to them or if something else lands in my lap to distract me. Curious? I hope you'll come back to see what I post.

2 comments:

ibeeeg said...

I really like your choices of books. They are different, for me, and help expand ideas for my reading.
Thanks for posting.

Alyce said...

Rilla of Ingleside is one of my favorites. I felt that Rainbow Valley was a little bit slow moving, but it did have some nice moments. I hope you're enjoying it!