Thursday, July 8, 2010

Attention Readers: A Library is a Hospital for the Mind To Host Second Annual Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge!

Attention readers! Spread the word! The original Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge will be returning this fall to this blog: A Library is a Hospital for the Mind.

As some may recall, at the end of September and into October of last year I hosted the first Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge, which coincided with the re-release of the Betsy-Tacy series by HarperCollins Publishers. The challenge was not only a delightful time of re-reading for myself and many long-time fans of Maud Hart Lovelace, but also a fun and exciting way to spread the word to readers who had never read the books let alone heard of Deep Valley.

This year I plan to once again host the challenge, again through the month of October, and once again it will coincide with the re-release of Maud Hart Lovelace books. I am very excited to report that HarperCollins Publishers will be re-publishing all three books in the Deep Valley series: Winona's Pony Cart and Carney's House Party (combined together in one volume) and Emily of Deep Valley. These books will be available October 12, 2010. Although the Deep Valley stories are not continuations of Betsy Ray, Tacy Kelly, or Tib Mueller readers will be delighted to know these ladies do make appearances within the books, as do several other familiar and much loved characters. They are definite must reads for fans of the Betsy-Tacy series.

Here is a sneak peak of the cover art, once again beautiful drawn by Vera Neville, who illustrated all the high-school and later years in the Betsy-Tacy books.

Have I mentioned how excited I am?!?

I already own Winona's Pony Cart, as I obtained a copy when it was last reprinted about 10 years ago, but I was never able to get my hands on a copy of Carney's House Party or Emily of Deep Valley for my personal library. I first read them last fall when I discovered a branch of my local library had them shelved away. I plan to remedy this problem by purchasing a copy of each book as soon as they are available.

In addition the extremely loyal Lovelace fans or those living within driving distance to Mankato, Minnesota have the wonderful opportunity to attend the Deep Valley Book Release Party which will be held on Saturday, October 16, 2010. To learn more about this party please visit the Betsy-Tacy Society website or click here for a copy of the promotional flyer.

But even if you are unable to attend be sure to come back here on Friday, October 1, 2010 to sign up for the second annual Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge! I am planning an exciting month of book reviews, fun-facts and trivia posts, as well as some give-aways!

Hope you can join in the fun -- oh and spread the word! (If you'd like a copy of the reading challenge button (see top of post) to post on your own blog leave me a note with your email address or a way to contact you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Related Links:

Harper Perennial Modern Classics from HarperCollins Publishers
Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge 2009
The Besty-Tacy Society
More about Betsy, Tacy, Tib and Maud Hart Lovelace

Beyond Little House: Partnering with the Betsy-Tacy Society (July 17, 2010)

Books by MHL:
Betsy-Tacy
Betsy, Tacy and Tib
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill
Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown
Heavens to Betsy
Betsy in Spite of Herself
Betsy Was a Junior
Betsy and Joe
Betsy and the Great World
Betsy's Wedding
Winnona's Pony Cart
Carney's House Party
Emily of Deep Valley
The Trees Kneel At Christmas
One Stayed At Welcome (with Delos Lovelace)
The Betsy-Tacy Companion by Sharla Scannell Whalen (biography of MHL)

11 comments:

Carrie said...

I will ABSOLUTELY be in on this!!!!! I've been waiting for it! Yippee!!!

Brittanie said...

Count me in too. :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I want to join in again this year, too!

hopeistheword (at) gmail (dot) com

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

Yay! I've given up on reading challenges for the most part but I loved starting the Betsy-Tacy books for this last year so I think I'll join again to finish the series. :)

Nan said...

I love this idea! I'm in!

Nan said...

Oh, and I would like the button please! If you click on my name it will bring you to my blog. On the sidebar you may click on 'view my complete profile' and the email address will be there. Thanks so much.

Annette W. said...

I want to do this too!! Carrie introduced me to MHL...and to you!

Sarah M. said...

if any of you want the MHLRC button email me at: libraryhospitalblog [at] gmail [dot] com.

Michele said...

This is the best! I took my mom to Mankato for her birthday this year, so this'll be a fun cap to that adventure! I can't wait!

Nan said...

Just a quick note to let you know I am not going to be joining the challenge. A lot of inter library loan/new books have arrived, and I have a lot of reading ahead of me. Sorry. I'll still stop by to read postings but I'll not be participating.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'm going to join--I have loved the Betsy-Tacy series since I discovered them when I was a little girl.

And I'd love the button to promote this too--email me at

VerlindaHataol.com